04 August 2011

Summer straight from Hades -

I know many of you continue to wonder how my family is doing. Here is an update.

First, I wanted to give an update on my mom. We had two consecutive weekends in the ER in Mid-July. The last ER visit, they did a CAT scan checking for internal bleeding from a biopsy malfunction in Boston. This was June 16, also the same day we learned of the death of her mother (my grama) who was in a car accident mid-June. Mom's scan on that Saturday showed many new growths and rapid increase of original tumors. She could no longer eat solid food because there are many tumors in her intestines obstructing her bowels.

We went through visitation, funeral, and burial of my grandmother with my mom on a completely liquid diet. We buried my grandmother on Monday - and on Tuesday, after visiting with mom's oncologist, we agreed as a family to stop treatments for my mom's cancer. The oncologist actually said there is nothing more that we can do.....miraculous healing is the only option left. We have called in hospice. My heart is broken, but I know God is faithful. I know many of you have been praying, but I ask that you continue to pray for my family during this seemingly unending nightmare.

We are now two weeks into hospice care, and we are very pleased with the nurses, social workers, aides, etc. on the hospice staff. Some days are better than others for her, but mom is comfortable and at peace, for the most part. She has always loved listening to southern gospel music, but it seems moreso the last few weeks she is listening to songs about Heaven. The other day I was getting ready for church and I overheard mom singing, "Great is they Faithfulness" with Bill Gaither on the television. There is my mom....drinking an Ensure shake, eating jello, battling cancer like never before, and singing "strength for today, bright hope for tomorrow, blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside." Obviously, I had to re-apply mascara after this little episode. She really is one of the most amazing people that I have ever met!

If you want to send her a card, she loves to look at them. Feel free to send them to Ruthie Fentress, 1221 Stoneridge Rd, Lawrenceburg KY 40342. God bless you and your family!

4 comments:

schoonie9198 said...

Sarabetha! What a touching story of your mother singing. Your mother is amazing and her faith astounding. I know she is very proud of you and thankful to have you at her side.
Our family will continue to lift up prayers to our Lord and Savior-Your Rock!
Love you, schoooonnnnnie

Darlene said...

You truly are my hero SaraBeth and when my christian faith grows it is because someone like you is there to encourage me with your words of compassion and wisdom along the way. Love you so much!! Darlene

Shelly said...

O my friend, you know my heart where you and your family is concerned. I am praying, deeply.

All my love, S

Leeann said...

My heart breaks when reading this, but God is faithful and good. And you already know that... Rest assured we are praying for you and your family. My mom considers your mom one of her best friends. What a blessing your parents have been to mine through the Gideons and the school system. We love you all!

Leeann

Psalm 91:14-16

 

free hit counters