27 May 2013

A New Twist on 1:27 -


I received my first document from the Department of Homeland Security this weekend concerning the adoption. In reality, the information on the document was insignificant. Basically, it was a legal form updating me that the adoption petition had been received and that I would be hearing more information and instructions very soon. However trivial the information, this piece of paper served as a catalyst for my excitement of what the next few months will hold. Reality is setting in, and almost daily I am reminded how unusual the path that God has chosen for me truly is.

Many of you know that I started a ministry 18 months ago named after James 1:27. “Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.” This truly has been the most rewarding, challenging, exciting, and difficult adventure of my life up to this point. Through the ups and downs, God has exceeded my every expectation concerning 127 Worldwide!!


Recently, I have been reminded of a different 1:27 found in the Bible. 1 Samuel 1:27 “For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.” Hannah prayed for YEARS to become a mother. She promised to return her child back to God, if God would answer her request. She was faithful and persistent, and God answered her petition by giving her a son, Samuel, which means “God hears.” I have known that I would be a mother since I was a teenager. God has given me so many excellent examples of mothers – especially my own. About a year ago, God confirmed to me that I was to begin the process of adopting two girls from Uganda. I have prayed that God would be clear in his timing and plan for me to become a mom. The document that I received this weekend served as a reminder that God is in the process of granting me my petition that I have consistently made to Him throughout the last few decades. God still hears!

It is almost humorous when I think about the family that I began praying for as a teenager. Never, in a million years, did “my plan” for my family include being a single parent house with a biracial family. BOTH of those terms were virtually foreign to me at that time. As I travel and speak, I often tell people that the life I live is not one that I would have chosen for myself; however, the story that God has written for my life is better than any story that I could have ever written on my own. It’s true. I never could have predicted the amazing adventure that God has scripted just for me. In fact, the most radical step is just around the corner! I am so excited for my girls to come home!

I truly can see the hand of God on my life. He really has worked out everything according to His own plan because there IS a bigger picture that I cannot always see. I am grateful for this process, even though it has been difficult at times. I ask for your diligent prayers during these next few months. Pray for my daughters, who are more than likely alive at this very moment – perhaps living in conditions that we cannot imagine. Please pray for wisdom, discernment, peace, and clarity as the next several months unfold. Pray for the paperwork to be completed smoothly and timely. Pray for the judge’s favor on this situation. Pray that I can go to them quickly. Pray for quick attachment and adjustment for our family. Pray as the Lord leads you.

God Bless you as you continue to surrender to the story that He wants to write for you – there really is no greater adventure on this side of heaven.

If you are interested in making a financial donation towards the adoption, here is the link: Help bring my girls home!!

No comments:

 

free hit counters